If you have a garbage disposal, you more than likely use it daily. But are you using it correctly? If you put the wrong things down your disposal or don’t take care of it properly, you will have serious problems. HD Plumbing & Drain Cleaning provides drain cleaning service and repair in Palm Coast, FL. We want to share some tips to help keep your garbage disposal in top operating condition.
- Food scraps only. Don’t put bone, oil, grease, or things like plastic down your garbage disposal. Many meat scraps aren’t good, and things like rice that swell shouldn’t go down the drain either. If your scraps are large, break them up into smaller pieces to make grinding easier.
- Run cold water through each time you use your garbage disposal. This keeps grease and oil from solidifying and prevents clogging. Clean your disposal by flushing with cold water and a tiny drop of dishwashing liquid.
- To keep your disposal smelling fresh, grind a lemon or orange peel occasionally.
- To sharpen the blades, drop in a few ice cubes each month. It also helps to remove accumulated grease and waste from the sides.
- Avoid drain cleaners as they can harm your garbage disposal. If it becomes clogged, your best bet is to call HD Plumbing.
- Retrieve items carefully. It would be best if you unplugged it before putting your hand in the cavity. Try to use something to grab the item other than your hand.
HD Plumbing and Drain Cleaning not only provides drain cleaning service and repair in Palm Coast, FL but is a full-service plumbing company. We can handle all your plumbing needs. If you need a brand new garbage disposal, we can take care of the installation for you. Call us at (386) 999-3299 if we can be of service.